Archbishop Teofilius Matulionis was first to speak about the idea of joining the Basilica and the Chapel of the Apparition by a common square as early as 1937. There was even a project to take care of the surroundings of the Šiluva Shrine, however the start of World War II prevented the initiative.
This idea to join the space between the Basilica and the Chapel of the Apparition into one square was implemented in 2008 when preparing for the 400th Anniversary of the Apparition of Virgin Mary in Šiluva.
The square is now considered a sacral space, transforming into one large open-air church. It is the main place for Holy Mass during the Feast days.